Thursday, May 30, 2019

Women In Baseball Day - May 30th


In honour of this year's Women In Baseball Day, I am highlighting some of the women in my life and their passion for the game.

After many years of following baseball almost completely alone (offline at least), the last few years have seen my enthusiasm for America's national pastime spread to my family and friends. In fact, it has been the women closest to me that have really embraced the sport and become active followers of their chosen teams.

Today I talk to four of these ladies about their teams, their favourite players, and a lot more.

Amber

Amber, let's kick things off with the basics; who's your team and how did you choose them?

My team is the New York Yankees, and I chose them because they're the first team I saw in person (on our honeymoon). I'm a true fan because I stuck with them despite seeing them lose!

They only just lost that day, it was a close one. What was that experience like?

It was a beautiful sunny day and I got swept away in the whole experience, like all the food and singing the seventh-inning stretch. All the fans around us were so friendly as well.

We did have a great time with the Yankees. Who is your favourite player in the Bronx? 

That's a tough one. So, it's between Aaron Judge and Didi Gregorius. Didi was the first Yankee I saw hit a home run, but when we were in New York I loved the theatrics and hype surrounding Judge, like the fans wearing robes in the "Judge's Chambers." It has to be Judge for me.


Judge is a dude, it's such a shame he's been hurt this year. What has been your favourite baseball food so far?

Garlic fries! Hands down, they were the best. I had heard about them before I went to San Francisco, that they were a specialty at the Giants' stadium. So I had to get them and they didn't disappoint.

Between New York and San Francisco, which was your favourite stadium?

Despite being a Yankee fan, I loved San Francisco's Oracle Park.

At both games I've been to I was really lucky with the weather, but San Francisco had the amazing panoramic view of the bay, the splash hits counter, and the giant Coca Cola bottle slide. I really liked how people could watch innings for free through the right field fence as well. I just wish adults were allowed down the Coca Cola slide!

We did have an amazing time in San Francisco! Together we've watched quite a few baseball films - what has been your favorite? 

A League of Their Own is my favourite. There are so many famous one-liners from that movie. When we took the tour of Oracle Park, I even saw "There's no crying in baseball!" on one of their walls full of famous baseball quotes. I love how the film focused on the women in baseball and that whole era.

I also really enjoyed The Perfect Catch with Drew Barrymore and Jimmy Fallon.

The Perfect Catch is a guilty pleasure, I'll admit. If you played baseball, what position would you play?

First base! I'd like to be the one catching the ball to put everybody out - if I'm in the game, I want to be involved as often as possible. I would also love to hit home runs!

Ellie

Hey Ellie! Who are your team and how did you come to choose them?  

My team is the Los Angeles Dodgers! I chose them mostly for their awesome fireball logo because who wouldn't support a team who can throw balls of fire?!

A great choice, a historic organization too. Do you have a favourite Dodger?

I'm not sure I have a specific favourite player as such but it would probably be Justin Turner. It's likely the orange beard (it really is orange, there is no getting around it) that has ensured he stuck in my mind. But having only followed the Dodgers for just over a year, I remember that he fractured his wrist just before last season began and I feel like that put a downer on their start (which was pretty horrendous...) From what I gather he is a pretty good all-rounder so they really missed him in the beginning there. I was super glad they made a comeback though, given how far behind they were late in the season.

Turner is one of their main guys and a huge part of their success these last few years. After falling short of winning it all the past two years, do you think the Dodgers can finally win the World Series this season?

Hmm, well they have gotten off to a better start this year than 2018, so I think they stand a better chance. Hopefully they have the extra drive this year!

When you finally attend your first game, what do you think will be your favorite food at the stadium?

As a vegetarian I think it is unlikely that veggie hot dogs are on offer in America (which would be my first choice) so I'd have to go with PIZZA SLICE!!!!!!!!!!!


I've subjected you to a number of baseball movies, which one has been your favorite? Are there any you haven't seen yet that you want to?

I think I've enjoyed them all but A League of Their Own is probably my favourite because it has the glorious Tom Hanks (although not in a very glorious role!) and it's an alternative view of baseball. Given baseball is such a male-centric game, it's nice to see women playing and playing really well (albeit in a fantasy plot line). Their uniforms could be a bit less revealing though. Trousers and classic baseball shirts would have been muuuuch cooler.

As for films I haven't seen, I came across one on Amazon Prime that I've yet to try. It's called Mr Baseball and it's got Tom Selleck in it and it's very early 90s, about a baseball player whose career is starting to come to an end and he gets traded to a Japanese team - UMM HELLO?! THIS SOUNDS AMAZING.

Sounds like your perfect movie! Finally, if you played baseball, what position do you think you'd play?

I would be a bench warmer because clearly, I cannot play baseball. In an ideal world though, I'd be a pitcher with a Popeye-strong arm that tears the bat to pieces!

Jasmine

Hi Jasmine, who are your team and why did you choose them?  

Hi Ash, my team are the Toronto Blue Jays. I support them because they are the outsiders. As the first and only team outside the US to appear in and win a World Series, they're the team I proudly follow. I like an unexpected winner and their underdog spirit makes for captivating viewing! While they've been out of the spotlight for a while they seem keen to return to form, and I enjoyed their postseason run in recent years.

Canada's only MLB team - they also have one of the greatest logos on their hats, a good choice! Do you have a favourite player?

Randal Grichuk. A fantastic end to 2018 hints at an even better 2019 (I hope), so it'll be interesting to see how his season goes. He's also really cute, which helps!

What about Vladimir Guerrero Jr. - how do the feel about the star rookie?

I was very excited for him to join the team and I think he will do his father proud. I know it's only his first season but he's definitely making his mark already.

When you attend your first game, what sort of food at the ballpark will be on your agenda?

In my mind you can't beat a good hot dog. Timeless, tasty, and fairly easy to eat. That being said I've seen pictures of the glazed donut burgers floating around and I wouldn't mind trying one of those.

Ketchup or mustard on the hot dog?

Both!


Of the baseball movies I've subjected you to so far, what has been your favorite? Are there any you haven't seen yet that you want to?

It's gotta be A League of Their Own. Geena Davies and Tom Hanks in a feminist movie about some of the greatest unsung women of sport? Yes please!

I feel like I should watch Moneyball. In fact, I'm a bit embarrassed I haven't seen such a classic but I promise I will get round to it... eventually.

It's okay, I'll make you watch Moneyball soon enough. Final question: if you played baseball, what position would you want to be?

I think I'd like to play catcher. Calling the shots and bringing the team together sounds like a lot of fun, and a good chance to use some strategy. Whether I'd be any good at it is another question entirely ;)

Libby

Hi Libs, who are your team and how did you come to choose them?

Hi Ash, my team are the Oakland A's. The reason why they're my team is simple: I love an underdog. Plus, I like their style. I really dig the green and yellow combo, and their badass elephant mascot.

Excellent choice, I also love that green and yellow combo. Who is your favourite player on the A's? 

Matt Chapman! Or as Matt (Libby's boyfriend and Brewers fan) and I call him, Chap Mattman, which was taken from a baseball podcast Matt listens to (Absolute Bunts). He's just so good and seems like a really nice guy, which is important, and humble.

Chapman is a great choice, the face of the franchise in Oakland. As a British fan, we don't get to regularly enjoy the ballpark experience like our American cousins. When you go to your first game this year, what food are you targeting? Are you going for the classics like hot dogs, peanuts and crackerjack, or something more modern and exotic?

I love the traditional favourites, but will branch out as we're going to Citi Field, which has more options than I can count. I will probably be up and down a lot to grab everything in sight! Fuku by David Chang is there serving fried chicken, so I definitely have my eye on that.

I'm very jealous of your upcoming trip and all the fried chicken. We've watched a few a baseball films together now, what has been your favorite? 


I'd have to say A League of Their Own, just for sheer quality. But the first one I ever watched was Moneyball which was pretty intriguing. I don't know what cracked me up about Field of Dreams, but I just remember shaking in fits of laughter at a key emotional scene with Jasmine. I blame the sugary popcorn!

Ash's note: For context, both Jasmine and Libby got the giggles during the scene when Ray meets his Father. Most people cry - they laughed ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Final question: if you played baseball, what position would you play?

Okay, I'll be honest here as I'm still learning all the positions, but I would love to be the center fielder, really far away in the field, who manages to throw themselves into the padded wall for an epic catch. That seems pretty fun to me! 

------------------------------

A huge thank you to Amber, Ellie, Jasmine and Libby for taking the time to speak with me about their teams and love for the game.

Now go and watch A League of Their Own. We all love it.

1 comment:

  1. Will you guys make the trip to see the Yankees vs Red Sox in London next June?
    In curious about Ellie's comment about A League of Their Own. "(albeit in a fantasy plot line).”
    Thanks for the article, I enjoyed it and love hearing from people that are new to the game.

    ReplyDelete